Friday, December 11, 2009

I WATCHED

Chaplain Ben Benthien is a long time friend of Lewis and Clark Bible Church. He serves as a chaplain with the Tacoma-Pierce County Chaplaincy. You no doubt heard of the recent tragic shooting of four police officers in Lakewood, WA. He was privileged to serve at the Memorial that sprang up in front of the coffee shop following the shooting. He wrote about it in his recent Christmas letter...

I WATCHED

"I watched as hundreds of people have come to pay their respect.
I watched as what was a small Memorial on Monday evening
grew quite large in the next few days.
I watched as tears flowed.
I watched as they brought flowers, candles, crosses,
American flags, stuffed animals, a fully decorated Christmas tree,
posters, notes, and many other items.
I watched as a two or three year old boy took a dozen roses
one by one out of his mother's hand
and gently laid them on the Memorial.
I watched as families came and parents tried to explain
to their children what had happened there.
I watched as the officers standing watch over the site
were given hugs and food items.
I watched as a young lady kneeled with her hands folded and prayed.
I watched as one of the family members came to the site with many friends.
They cried and prayed together.
I watched as love flowed."

Praise God for men and women who put themselves in harm's way to serve others both here at home and abroad. Praise God that He is watching over us and that "though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet." Praise God for those whom the God of All Comfort uses to extend comfort and hope to others.

Pastor Jerry

No comments: