Thursday, April 2, 2009

SOMEWHERE TO GO TODAY

There is someplace I need to go. Life is a struggle. The burden of indwelling sin and the troubles and trials of life are great. Were it left up to me and my own resources, I would never make it far on this narrow path. "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love" is the truth of it. And so I need to go. Ongoingly, repeatedly I need to go. I need to humble myself and go to this place of forgiveness and provision. I cannot go on my own. I need to go in the name of my great High Priest who has "passed through the heavens" (Heb. 4:14). I need to go in His name because He in there now to intercede on my behalf. He was "tempted in all things" as I am, "yet without sin" (Heb. 4:15). Because of this "He is able to come" to my aid (Heb. 2:18). Why would I refuse to go there, and not just go, but "draw near with confidence" (Heb. 4:16)? God commends me to come with great confidence based on the merit of His Son--who died for me on Calvary. At the throne of grace two things are promised to me--mercy and grace. Mercy is God not giving to me what I deserve. What do I deserve? Punishment for sin. Grace is God giving to me what I don’t deserve. What do I deserve? Punishment for sin. So at the throne of grace, I don’t get what I do deserve, but instead get what I don’t deserve--forgiveness of sin and God’s provision to keep on keeping on. What a throne! What a Savior! What a wonderful provision! The grace of God flows from His throne as a mighty flood providing His forgiveness and His provision to His humbled children! Help me Father to draw near. Help me Father to draw near with confidence. Help me Father to draw near day by day and moment by moment that I might be stengthened by Your grace to do your will!

Pastor Jerry

No comments: