Wednesday, May 14, 2008

OUR INADEQUACY- GOD'S SUFFICIENCY

I was encouraged by this from Charles Bridges in "The Christian Ministry: With an Inquiry into the Causes of its Inefficiency." I would highly recommend this book for all Pastors and Elders!

"Who is sufficient for these things?" (2 Cor. 2:16). Who, whether man or angel "is sufficient" to open "the wisdom of God in a mystery"--to speak what in its full extent is "unspeakable"--to make known that which "passeth knowledge"--to bear the fearful weight of the care of souls? Who hath skill and strength proportionate? Who has a mind and temper to direct and sustain so vast a work? If our Great Master had not himself answered these appalling questions by a promise--"My grace is sufficient for thee" (2 Cor. 12:9): and if the experience of faith did not demonstratably prove, that "our sufficiency is of God" (2 Cor. 3:5); who, with an enlightened apprehension, could enter upon such an awful service, or, if entered, continue in it?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! This is a book I try to read at least once a year. I refer to it often when the ministry comes dangerously close to be overwhelming. I so often come away with the sense that ministry is a privilege. Frank Emrich